How Can a Lease or Residency be Ended?

The Residential Tenancies Act, 1997 is explicit about how a tenancy ends. It can only occur when one of the parties of the Tenancy Agreement gives notice to the other party.

If you want to vacate the property at the end of the Tenancy Agreement you must give written notice twenty eight (28) days prior to vacating.

If you want to vacate during the term of the Tenancy Agreement, you will be breaking the contract you have entered into and therefore are responsible for reimbursing the landlord for any loss incurred eg. rent until the property is again tenanted plus the landlord’s normal costs in re-letting. These are usually:

All advertising and marketing expenses incurred
Letting fee
A tenancy reference check.

End Lease or Residency by Landlord or Owner

There may be many reason a landlord wants a tenant to vacate. They may want to move in to the property or one of their relatives or friends wants to live there. They may want to do renovations or to sell the property with vacant possession. Each state has varying rules regarding the notice period required to end a tenancy. Different situations have different rules. To ensure a positive result comply with the laws in your state. eg. In Victoria if landlord wants to move into a property they need to give the tenant 60 days notice.

To issue a vacate notice, please fill out the form below and return it to our office, should you have any questions, please contact our office or leave a message by email.

Contact Us

Nicholson Head Office

Address: 21 – 23 Nicholson Street Brunswick East, VIC 3057

Phone: (03) 9387 0966

Fax: (03) 9380 1985

Reservoir Office

Address:  290 Broadway Reservoir

Phone: (03) 9460 2541

Fax: (03) 9460 2011

Email: info@nicholsonre.com.au

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Enquiry Type

    Your Message